The third installment of Despicable Me hit theaters this weekend but was there enough new things in the movie to warrant your attention?
Despicable Me 3 was on the agenda this weekend and we had high hopes for this movie when it landed our on most anticipated list at the start of the year.
We were worried the movie was going to take the wrong direction and focus more on the Minions which have appeared to taken the market by storm.
The addition of a missing twin brother and a new villain help built up the excitement for a movie about a villain who turned good.
- Hands down we loved the addition of Balthazar Bratt. Everything from his kid’s show up until the final confrontation with Gru.
- The addition of the twin brother, Dru, may not be creative it was a good thing for the movie. Since the movies tend to focus on family dynamics, it helped strengthen it.
- On a side note, the voice actors did a solid job this time around, especially Steve Carrell who took on two roles.
- They did cut down on some of the screen time for the Minons so the movie was bearable, but we think they could do more with it. They only add so much to the movie.
- The subplots were okay but it felt like they left Edith, the middle daughter, out in the cold.
If you were a fan of the first two movies, it may be worth your while to check it out in theaters. Otherwise we would recommend waiting until it comes out on DVD.
Overall the movie was decent, but it did not do enough to earn the top spot or bottom spot on our 2017 movie list.